‘Dad, you promised that you would tell me a story last time.’
‘Haah.. you do remember things, don’t you? Okay. I will tell you a really funny..’
‘Nooo!’ ‘NOT a funny story again.. I remember the last funny story you told me – it was NOT at all fun. Tell me a ghost story!’
‘But Neha - ghost stories are boring.. and they are all imaginary.. no fun at all.’
‘I still would prefer a ghost story..’
‘Okay. Come lie down in the berth. I will tell you a story. This is not exactly a ghost story. It is a real story.’
‘A real story? You saw a ghost?’
‘Come on Ni! You know there is no such thing as ghosts! Something weird happened to us when we were in college. We were a group of five friends... and he started telling the cock and bull story he had concocted at the spur of the moment for his eight year old daughter.
‘Haah.. you do remember things, don’t you? Okay. I will tell you a really funny..’
‘Nooo!’ ‘NOT a funny story again.. I remember the last funny story you told me – it was NOT at all fun. Tell me a ghost story!’
‘But Neha - ghost stories are boring.. and they are all imaginary.. no fun at all.’
‘I still would prefer a ghost story..’
‘Okay. Come lie down in the berth. I will tell you a story. This is not exactly a ghost story. It is a real story.’
‘A real story? You saw a ghost?’
‘Come on Ni! You know there is no such thing as ghosts! Something weird happened to us when we were in college. We were a group of five friends... and he started telling the cock and bull story he had concocted at the spur of the moment for his eight year old daughter.
They were going to Delhi for a seminar from Mughalsarai in Kalka Mail. Like most other people they had an early dinner and by the time the train reached Allahabad, an hour late than scheduled, they were getting ready for sleep. That was when Neha had reminded him of his promise.
Neha was chosen from DAV Public School to represent her zone. Neha’s dad who was a teacher in the same school thought it was a good idea to spend the weekend with her daughter. He had doubled up as her dad as well as mom after Neha’s mom early demise shortly after Neha’s birth in a car accident. He never bothered remarrying.
Neha was chosen from DAV Public School to represent her zone. Neha’s dad who was a teacher in the same school thought it was a good idea to spend the weekend with her daughter. He had doubled up as her dad as well as mom after Neha’s mom early demise shortly after Neha’s birth in a car accident. He never bothered remarrying.‘.. and then when Dhruv finally got enough courage to open the door, you know what he saw?’
‘Aaah.. I think she dozed off. You are quite a storyteller’ spoke a female voice from behind.
It had been barely ten minutes Nitin had started and Neha was already fast asleep.
‘Ya, we both had a long day. I think I should sleep too’.
‘So you are not just a soporific storyteller but a Sleepy Joe as well eh?’
She was beautiful. Dressed in kurti and jeans, she sported a smile that Nitin had to make a consciously effort not to get lost in.
‘I’m a History teacher – this is a professional hazard’. He tried to be funny.
‘Well! That explains it.’
He smiled. There was something very attractive about the lady. He tried to figure out what it was.
(To be continued...)
Photo courtesy: "Another journey by train" by Steve Leggat
Chetan Bhagat eh??
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete