Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Roger That!


Roger Federer. He was the man I wrote about for the first time when I started writing for my blog : TheSwiss Houdini.  More than 3 years down the line, after winning few more Grand Slams, and being written off by most as he moved in his 30s (while being the #3 in the ATP Men’s rankings) he still remains he was back in 2009 – The Gentleman.
This gentleman still remains the one for whom I will be stay awake at the wee hours of the morning  just so that I can watch him play. For some odd reason – I don’t care if he wins it or lose.  I can’t deny that I will be ecstatic if he beats a certain Nadal, but that is just about it. Watching Fed play is peace and enriching enough.
What is it about great sportsperson that makes them great? The skill? Or the passion? Or maybe the will power?  Sourav Ganguly, the Bengal southpaw and my idol has proved it time and again that it is ALL in the mind. If you believe you can do it, you definitely can. But you must believe it yourself.  Does Federer back himself to the core when he plays against Rafa? I hope he does.

As I write this post close to a year after my previous one - I chose the easy way out – Roger. There is no great pleasure to see your favourite champion win.  But it is all the more thrilling when a player fights his age and competes at the highest level of professional sports with 7-8 years younger than him.  Combine the humility, grace and charishma – you know why everyone loves Fed.  If he loses? We still love and adore him.

A loving husband and a doting father - being Roger Federer is much more than just playing tennis – it is about winning hearts with that flashing smile. I doubt whether his contemporaries can beat him at that!

Roger that!



P.S:
1. For all the Fed fans watch the  'Roger Federer : Spirit of a Champion' series in Youtube. Here is a link : 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApECbBeJXcs

2. For all the Nadal/Joker and whomsoever fans watch the same link. You might switch allegiance. :P :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment