Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Elusive Dream


So many things clog my mind

But so little I can say

Is it only me?

Or do you feel the same way?

Sometimes I try,

Try my best to stop thinking;

But the thoughts..

They never leave me alone

And keep egging me on

To plan grand things.


I look back where I started,

‘Could have done better perhaps’

Someone speaks in my mind.

‘Is this not good enough?’

Someone counters in a small voice

Afraid perhaps to sound contented

‘Certainly not!’ the other snaps back.

‘Run’, it urges ‘Run as fast you can

As long as you can

Till your lungs don’t rebel,

Heart doesn’t scream.

Run and chase your elusive dream.’


So I run on and on

The finishing line remaining ever so far..

A little more, and then no farther

I keep saying to myself

But the voice in the mind

Drives me on.


This is a disease

A disease in my mind

A disease that is as lethal

As that of the blood.

But is there a cure?

Oh yeah! There is one.

But it is ‘The road not taken’

As once Mr. Frost told us all

The Vagabond took the road,

And so he was happy

But do such Vagabonds exist today?


I don’t wish to be a vagabond,

I wish to run,

I wish to stand up every time I fall.

The lungs would rebel,

The heart would scream,

But I want to go on and live my dream.

So what if it’s elusive?

I know I will make it big

It’s only the will

That’s all I need.


P.S: Posted at almost 3am, this one is finally a night time post. Also this is my first ever poem. I Just felt like trying to see whether I can actually write one or not after seeing Sharaya’s (who made a comment in my previous post) blog (http://mypayingself.blogspot.com/) consisting of beautiful poems. Poets have always seemed to be of a different class to me. I don’t know what I wrote probably going with the flow. I am not sure whether it is awesome or awful but do feast in the comments section because as I already have mentioned before, nothing works like criticism.

Adiós.

6 comments:

  1. good start :D
    and excellent use of blank verse....
    whenever itry to use that particular form, i end up with something that looks more like prose than poetry...
    :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, this did sound prosaic to me. I'm no big poet, though, I don't have the right to judge. Blank verses are a type of poetry, but they must have a rhythm. And more thing, you can't force yourself yourself to be a poet. You can't sit with a pen, and work on words to get a poem out. Lines should just flow from you. Like Madhusudan Dutta or Coleridge did. So, don't force yourself to be a poet. Prosaic authors are more reverred than poets, an essay book (or a novel) sells faster than a poetry collection. It's better to be an author than a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The lungs would rebel,

    The heart would scream,

    But I want to go on and live my dream."

    This was the best portion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twisha pointed it out right
    'Twas "poetic"..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rishi, Twisha, and Sharaya. This was my very first poem written just to see whether I can write one. While writing I didn't think about posting it here. Only when a cousin brother said it was pretty much okay I posted it. Also I like blank verses. I consciously tried not to use rhyming words. I am writing just for myself mainly. Though a novel sells much faster than a poetry collection, I found writing a poem more enjoyable than writing a prose simply because it is more challenging.
    I will try not to be prosaic though, if I manage to write a poem next time.
    Thanks again for the insights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely.
    especially:
    "
    As long as you can
    Till your lungs don’t rebel,
    Heart doesn’t scream.
    Run and chase your elusive dream.’
    "
    btw, mypayingself is my blog(primarily).

    ReplyDelete