Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A word to ALL


I was always irritated to see the advertisements in the websites. It is funny that now my own blog also has such advertisements. I am here not to make money. I just want to know how this thing- Google Adsense works, and how much money people make by it. I guess unless someone is already famous, he/she cannot make much money as a blogger. Exceptions are always there though like the famous Fake-IPL-Player who became famous overnight :P But exceptions only prove the law, eh?

I shall experiment with this adsense stuff for a few months to see how it generates revenue for a below par blogger like me. Meanwhile I hope the visitors don’t get irritated (like I used to) and bear with my whims and fancies.

I also appreciate people like Twisha, Rishi ,Sharaya, Teko (Suvro), Piudi who keeps letting me know about my poems. To the ones who keep dropping in their comments via g-talk (though I would have preferred if all you guys made it a point to use the comments section) : thanks for the insights and encouragement. J

This rhyming stuff is damn difficult. It takes a hell a lot of a time and concentration. I found the blank verses much easier. All the poems took about 1.5-2 hours. ‘The Elusive Dream’ probably a little more (but it’s much longer than the rest). I found I express myself well in the blank verses, and I had to sometimes compromise with my feelings while trying to maintain a rhyming pattern.

One of my friend said that I probably copy from some other source or else writing poems in such short time is very difficult. But he himself has never written a poem. I would like to know from the people who writes poems about how much time they take and whether I should spend a little more time with the poems so that they are more polished or anything of that sort. As of now, after I finish with a poem, I do not go back and post it after a making a little or no correction/changes here and there. Do let me know guys.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

Knottyknight

P.S: I am indeed naughty. (truly-madly-deeply :P)

3 comments:

  1. if you find yourself comfortable writing blank verses...you shud pursue..because its a rare trait..nd a difficult style..way to go...break a leg..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blank verse is all very well, but I would personally prefer prose.

    I have a feeling that to write poetry consists largely of the rhyming, not just for the sake of symmetry, but because it shows a continuity or flow in the thought process of the author.

    And whoever said you can't produce poems in short notice, was to say the least, anything but a writer. Although his basic premise was correct, one can never write true poetry on notice, he meant quite something else, that one can have flashes of poetic brilliance only in long intervals.

    I have personally experienced that there are a few days on which any person could put Byron to shame. Again, on others, the same guy could have compositions that even he/she would him/herself abhor. This has little to do with the length of time between the blogs.
    Current blog: http://kknundy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Modern poetry and poets generally tend to avoid rhyming. Most of the modern poetry journals do not like to accept rhyming verses, unless they're somehow exceptional. The current view is that rhyming constraints the flow of your thoughts and makes you worry more about the rhyme-scheme, thus what ends up as your final poem, is actually not what you wanted to say when you started out with the poem.

    Blank verse is not easier to write. What you're thinking of is prose.

    Also, generally speaking, one should not spend too much editing and re-editing a poem. A poem is a fragment of an image, a piece of thought, and if you keep on forging it, the image distorts and in that case you're not being true to yourself. However, exceptions are always there. Walt Whitman kept editing his Leaves of Grass throughout his life.

    Another helpful piece of advice: Show, not tell. That is don't write - I am happy and contended, or I am sad and disillusioned. Rather paint a picture, let the reader interpret it himself. Try to experiment with different modes of thinking, and not just linearly. Let the reader do some work too. After all a poem is supposed to make you think.

    Read more poetry. And not just Victorian era poetry that you read in schools, but read poems from various eras. Read Rilke, Trakl, Auden, Bukowski and everything you can get your hands on. Unless you read more, your poetry will not mature and will sound juvenile.

    These are some of the rough rules. However, the best works of art comes from people who can break the rules in a clever way! ;)

    ReplyDelete